September 11, 2011

Week #1: Let's Get it Started

It's only appropriate that my blog begins with Week 1 of the NFL Season. Here are my takeaways:

  • So much for the new kickoff rule. There were at least 3 returns for TDs made this week, which gives us hope that the league, owners and player's union really do know how to balance executable rules with maintaining the excitement of the game ensuring that Madden doesn't become more rough & tough than the actual game. 
  • Cam Newton: Love him or hate him, his rookie performance at 400+ yds is undeniably noteworthy. Didn't quite beat the Arizona Cardinals, but enough to keep me quiet until next week. 
  • The Redskins looked solid. I was once driving down the freeway in Maryland with my family when we noticed the truck next to us had the mold of a male genitalia hanging from it's tow package and a Redskins bumper sticker on it's tail gate. I said yes, "being a Redskins fan is a bit like dragging your b*lls down the freeway at 75mph." (Here is the off-color in me coming out). Kudos for the win. 
  • The Ravens were impressive with their most convincing win over the Pittsburgh Steelers in this historic, bitter rivalry (I'm taking the high road here and giving them the nod). 
  • Ouch! St. Louis Rams: The Rams need to wear their PJs inside out tonight or do a special offering dance to the injury gods to hope that the MRIs of Week 1's victims come back negative: Sam Bradford (nerve damage), Danny Amendola (dislocated left elbow), Steven Jackson (quadriceps), Ron Bartell (stinger), and Jason Smith (ankle sprain). To my family in St. Louis - my thoughts are with you. 
  • It was pretty special to hear my Dad announce on Fox that he was going to be a grandfather; and, to declare that I'm genetically predisposed to have a boy (whom he's affectionately named Biff for now, here fore referred to). 
  • Above all of this, may we never forget the strengthening memories of 9.11.01 and all of those beautiful lives that will forever be memorialized; and, may humanity prevail and we never have to face a day as dark as that again.

5 comments:

  1. Cutest blog! Can't wait for the baby to arrive. We can talk football together as Dave is obsessed with fantasy (like everyone else) so I can hold court with you over which defense to start each week. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your pregnancy and your blog!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats on the bambino! love the blog so far, i'll be following!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am crossing my fingers for the twitter apology! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete